Thursday, December 1, 2016

Week 6 Assignment 1



Week 6 Assignment 1

The blog assignment for this week enabled me to research open and distance education technologies. I selected the following two technologies that provide adult education vital benefits.

The first technology is http://www.distance-education.org/articles/135-Completely-Free-District-Education-Courses. This website provides an abundance site that offers a large number of free courses and courseware. The courses are provided by credible universities: Utah State University, Notre Dame, MIT, Berkeley, and Brigham Young University. I selected this site in that it provides the online learner a wide variety and description of a variety of topics/courses. Within my present professional environment I will provide offender students a copy of the courses. This will provide the offender students an educational tool to utilize when released. Additionally, I will select a course, enroll, and present my experiences to the adult offenders.

The second URL is https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ICT-inEducation/The-Uses-ICTs-in-Education. Examples of ICTs - print, audio/video cassettes, radio, computers, the Internet – may be used for presentation and demonstration. This site was selected to provide me further knowledge of ICTs benefits in education. I highly recommend online learners and educators to read this information. Within the correctional classroom, I will provide the offender students copies of the article. This information will provide offender students who want to pursue online learning with concrete information about the benefits of ICTs. Within my potential online classroom, I will recommend online learners read the article.

This blog assignment provided additional tools toward my becoming an effective online instructor.

4 comments:

  1. I am very interested in the distance education site that provides a resource related to over a hundred free courses. The fact that these courses are provided by credible and well known universities is a bonus. I can incorporate this site into my professional practice through using the materials to educate myself as well as direct learners to these resources to support specific topics such as management and leadership. The ability for learners to access this vast amount of knowledge will be beneficial to their professional growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gloria,

    Digital textbooks (or text like Wikibooks) are easily incorporated in grammar classes in which the learners can visualize the content here and read along while practicing grammar structures to get a better understanding how they are used in context. Thus, because they are like picture dictionaries they are able to offer English language learners a detailed description of an abstract word. Therefore, a grammar lesson could be taught about infinitives in which the Learners first read the text the educator can point out the grammar, so the learners have a visual understanding first. The students can develop sentences on their own and then they can practice it in their speech with their digital textbooks closed (turned to sleep mode).

    Thank you,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria,
    I enjoyed reading your post and exploring the tools that you shared. I guess we are all engaged this week in open and distance educational opportunities! We are sharing with one another information that might help us within our own profession all while involved in a distance learning course.
    The examples that you shared are really great and I believe that many students could benefit from both regardless of their area of expertise. The first one is a great resource and you know the information is coming from reputable universities. I really like your idea of sharing your own personal experience with your students regarding the sites. I believe that this would help to encourage them to utilize open educational resources and provide an example of how it benefited you.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gloria thanks for introducing me to Information and Communication (ICT). Through my research on ICT, I find that it has a positive impact on student achievement especially in terms of knowledge comprehension, and practical skills in mathematics and science, http://www.elmoglobal.com/en/html/ict/01.aspx. This would be great in bringing students together to collaborate on assignments and class projects. Using ICT also creates interactive classes that will make the lessons more enjoyable and improve student concentration.
    Reference
    What is ICT in education? - "ICT" is Information and Communication. Retrieved December 4, 2016 from https://www.elmoglobal.com/en/html/ict/01.aspx

    ReplyDelete