Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Week 8 Assignment 1



Week 8 Assignment 1
Gloria Nuckles

This week’s blog post addresses three technologies I found beneficial that address digital citizenship, ethics, and netiquette. The first technology that will be discussed is URL: http://www.isafe.org. This website addresses digital citizenship education to children on how to use information without abusing it. I selected this technology as a resource for adult online learners to use personally and professionally. Within the correctional learning environment, I will introduce this technology to offenders who will discharge within six months. The information will provide the ex-offenders knowledge of a factor important for their children. Additionally, I will inform my colleagues and friends about this vital technology. Bruce R. presented this information in the Week 7 blog:

The second URL/technology that provides significant information was obtained from Nicole W. BrainPOP (brainpop.com/technology/digitalcitizenship).  This site presents a variety of subjects, and one of its topics is digital etiquette, online safety, and cyberbullying. I have an interest in obtaining information regarding digital etiquette/cyberbullying and the site, although intended for children, adults will benefit from the topics. It is imperative that adults have digital etiquette to educate children to appropriate technology communication.

In the adult correctional learning environment, I will add this information to other digital etiquette websites and present a list of resources to adult offenders. Additionally, I will contact the local library and have the resources available to computer patrons.

The Final URL from Cedric B. was presented in Week 7, Digital Citizenship Blot. The URL: http://www.icdlasia.org/about-icd/digital-citizen-tablet-fundamentals. Digital Citizen Tablet Fundamentals (DCTF) introduces learners to concepts that are related to using a table. The use of the tablet must be responsible and respectful. My concept of tablets is limited, and this website would provide novice tablet users key concepts. As a potential online instructor, I foresee tablets being used in higher education. Having knowledge of tablets and their connection to digital etiquette, I would recommend students to read the site and practice the skills on their tablets. Additionally, I would add the website to my list of resources for adult offenders preparing to re-enter society.

Finally, the blog assignment was extremely beneficial toward preparing to become an effective online instructor and classmate that went the extra mile, providing vital information.

References


BrainPop (n.d.) Digital Etiquette, brainpop.com/technology/digitalcitizenship

Digital Citizens Tablet Fundamentals – ICDL – International Computer (n.d.) http://www.icdlasia.org/about-icdl/digital-citizen-tablet-fundamentals

isafe – http://www.isafe.org


3 comments:

  1. Isafe is helpful in reminding students to post respectful remarks.I would incorporate ISafe by teaching these tips for internet etiquette to the students on the first day.I would encourage them to read their writings before they post. I would also place signs in our technology centers to remind students the importance of reading their post before they press enter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gloria, thanks for reiterating the website about tablet skills development. I need to check it out and see what they have to offer since I just got a new iPad and have very limited knowledge of its potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria as I told Erica, I am thrilled that you would choose one of my blogs to discuss. The use of tablets is growing faster. Additionally, technology is the leading change agent for distance learning today. I have a tablet and a smartphone in which they both have the same account. When I download a video from YouTube on my tablet, that same video appears on my smartphone. This helps me keep up with my class work just in case I leave one of the two at home. They both are convenient because it eliminates carrying heavy books around all day. It is important to be able to use these tools in communication and networking in distance learning.

    ReplyDelete