Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Week 5 Blog Assignment





The blog focus for this week was to investigate games, simulations, and virtual environments. I have chosen http://www.lumosity.com and http://braingames1.aarp.org as the websites that will enhance adult learning.

The first website, Lumosity, has free games and the opportunity to subscribe monthly, yearly, or lifetime. I subscribed for one month for $11.95. I think this is an excellent investment toward honoring my brain skills and giving potential online adult students valuable brain activities. Lumosity provides, in addition to free games, a full training program with a subscription. The games are designed by scientists that challenge a variety of skills. Also, adult online learners have available 25+ mobile Lumosity games for Android, iPad, and iPhone. I selected this website for the challenging games and its availability for mobile devices. In the adult online learning environment, Lumosity would be used as an ice-breaker and team activity.

The second, AARP, provides free brain challenging games for adults. I never associated AARP with online gaming, and discovering this site provided me additional opportunities to test my brain abilities. The games are designed to promote memory attention and visual-spatial. Within the adult online learning environment, I would assign games weekly, and the games would be utilized as ice-breakers. I highly suggest investigating these websites.

References


4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of games targeted at stimulating brain activity. Like yourself, I can see incorporating the games available through these sites as ice breakers or break activities. Using these games to momentarily change the focus of learners from the subject matter of the course can assist in their full re-engagement and participation. Thanks for sharing these great tools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, Thank you for the comments. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria, I love the idea of you bringing up brain activity to the blog. Many studies have shown increases in cognitive functions from playing brain games helps develop memory (short term memory, working memory, and remembering names), concentration (focus, concentration, and attention span), problem solving (logical reasoning, word problems, and quantitative reasoning), thinking speed (visual perception, information processing, and spatial orientation), and mental flexibility (planning, task switching, and verbal fluency). By playing games that require different brain skills, you can strengthen all areas of the brain, http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/brain-games.html
    Reference
    Free Brain Games Training Online-Improve Memory, Have Fun (n.d.). Retrieved November 27, 2016 from http://www.memory-improvement-tips.com/brain-games.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gloria, I always wanted to try Lumosity and never have. It does seem very interesting and I would love to give my brain a good workout. I love the fact that you can access it from any type of device. I think this would be a great idea to incorporate into a learning environment.

    ReplyDelete